Planning Your Extension and Obtaining Permits

We will work with the council to ensure that permits for the work you need done are processed quickly and efficiently. We will ensure that all of the instructions are followed carefully, and we will take care of the necessary paperwork for you.

Pre-Construction Planning

Before we begin the construction phase of the project, our company will find out which permits are required for the extension. We are not permitted to build the extension without a permit and approval from the council. The council’s job is to make sure that the extension will comply with all local regulations. We work with the council and negotiate for our clients to ensure that all requirements are met. We will take care of this entire process for you.

Approval for Town Planning

Many of the extensions that are performed by our company require a Town Planning approval. We have years of experience in working on extensions and dealing with the council. So we will know whether this is a requirement for your extension almost immediately. The work we do is carefully inspected by a licensed building surveyor. This ensures that our work complied with all necessary regulations.

The town planning overlay could have some effect on how your extension is built.

Heritage Overlay

Some zones of the city may be considered heritage zones. In many cases, extensions higher than the first floor are prohibited if they can be seen from the street. Our company has managed to build upper storey extensions that are incorporated further back from the street, however.  Most ground floor extensions will be approved by the department responsible for town planning.

Development Overly

Some portions of the city will have requirements pertaining to designs and development overlays. These can further restrict what can and cannot be built and where it can be built. The restrictions are usually pertaining to how high the building is and how far it has to be set back from the street.

Overlays for Special Buildings

Some overlays pertain to how high off the ground the floor levels of homes must be. This will protect the homes from having to deal with water damage.

Overlays for Significant Landscapes

Some of the pleasant, natural areas of the city may be protected by specific overlays. The council may restrict building that interferes with or destroys natural growth, such as trees. This overlay determines which trees are significant and need to be protected.

Permits for Building

Every extension requires a building permit. These are always issued by a registered building surveyor and the permit will only be approved if a planning permit as already been issued. Our company handles the fees and paperwork required to obtain the permits for your extension.

Permits for Demolition

If some of your home or property is to be demolished to make way for the extension, a demolition permit will also have to be obtained.

Dispensatory Protection

Special approval may be required to make modifications to your building. The building surveyor will determine if this approval is required and issue a permit accordingly. Sometimes, only the council can approve the extension. This only happens in specific cases where the extension does not adhere to specified regulations. In such cases, a consent and report request will have to be made with the council.

This dispensation will be required if the extension is to be built over an easement, on flood prone land, or if a new structure is to be built closer to the foremost boundary than nearby residents have done in the past. It will also be required if a garage is to be built on an unoccupied piece of land.

Do not let these regulations and requirements overwhelm you, hoverer. Our company will take care of all the necessary paperwork and processes to handle these requirements and obtain the necessary permits.